Saturday, December 8, 2012

Houston, we've had a problem


Over Thanksgiving my nephew and sons asked to play touch football.  Being such an awesome dad (and needing to impress my family) I of course said yes.  My knee, which had been mildly sore for a few days, was soon in agony.  I went to see the doctor on Friday (11-30) morning and was told there was a tumor in the bone. Of course the idea had crossed my mind as there had been some small swelling, but I thought that was just the hypochondriac voice we all have and mostly suppress.  Well, this time, it was right.

Later that afternoon I had an MRI and a CT and the diagnosis was more or less confirmed: osteosarcoma in my right distal femur.  There are many different types, and it is very rare for my age, yet here I am, writing this blog, something I swore I would never do.

Unfortunately we still lack the information we all want and need, but there are a few things I can say:
  1. It is fairly common for OS to spread to the lungs.  A chest CT revealed NO OBVIOUS LESIONS!  In the words of the PA "This is very good news."
  2. The scans of my knee show that there is a layer of healthy tissue (fat) between the tumor and the blood vessel and nerve.  I am not sure how often there is a layer, but they said this was good news.  Who knew? My fat saved my life, and my knee is trying to kill me!
  3. The bone scan next Monday will show whether there are lesions in other bones (they say this is unlikely).  
  4. We are waiting to schedule my biopsy, but I am hopeful that it will happen next week.
  5. We are also waiting on results from other blood tests.
Prognosis
  1. Nearing 100% certainty that I will need knee reconstruction in the near future.
  2. Good chance I will need some amount of chemo.
  3. Depending on the type of osteosarcoma, long term survival rate can be in 90% or 70%.  If it has spread, these percentages can go down.
My personal gut feeling is that this is dedifferentiated Parosteal Osteosarcoma (dPOS).  One doctor said that he'd be "least surprised" with this diagnosis.  Another, was not willing to call, but felt (d)POS less likely.  

My doctor, Justin Bird, at MD Anderson was recommended by one doctor as "the best surgeon he ever trained."  He is young (around my age), and seemed sharp and friendly.  We are very lucky that we moved back to Houston to be near one of the best (if not the best) cancer hospital in the world.

We told our three oldest children today.  They know that I have a treatable cancer, and I am seeing the best doctor at the best hospital we can find.

Summer and I will be updating this blog as we get more information.  


4 comments:

  1. Me this week: the first thing to go was her language...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not quite believing.... On the road between Houston and Little Rock.

    ReplyDelete