Thursday, July 31, 2014

I'm back

I apologize for sucking so much at writing my blog, so I'll try to catch everyone up on my life for the past few months.  In May, I had my last chemo.  I think I recovered faster after that dose than previous ones because I knew I wasn't going to have to go back in for more poison. Two and a half months later, I feel almost 100% back to normal (except for my second favorite knee).




In June, my wife planned an awesome No More Chemo Party. We had a great turn out and a lot of fun.  Our friends Amber and Seth did a wonderful photo booth and made me a keepsake photo album of all my friends acting goofy.  These are a few of the pictures that my family made.

A lot of friends and family made long trips from across Texas and the country to celebrate my new freedom.  A special note to my parents and in-laws who helped out with food and getting the house together. Michael "Dobby" Shelley worked like a house elf all Saturday in the heat to get the outside clean and looking nice.


After my chemo party, Summer, Seth, Amber, and I went to Vegas.  We had a great time even if my wallet suffered some.  We stayed in a penthouse at the Bellagio, and they took great care of us.  We ate at Gordon Ramsay's steak restaurant.  The sticky toffee pudding dessert was terrific.



I went back to work in July, and I was a little worried about stamina.  But it turns out that I was really ready to get back in the swing of things.  My leg is still weak, so I'm doing P.T. twice a week.  I'm confident that I'll get much of my strength back eventually.

This leads me to my good news.  Today I had the first of what I hope to be many clear post-chemo scans.  That's right - there is no cancer in my body.  Hallelujah!



Now, I have a confession though.  My greatest fear these days is surviving the zombie apocalypse.  I was confident that before leg surgery I could have used my brains and wits to overcome any deficit in athleticism, but in my current state I see very little hope.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you posting to your blog again! Had a great time at your party, certainly thanks to everyone who helped with that. Sounds like you are doing well at getting back into work; PT is good. When the Zombies come now I know I should be sure to be ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete